Pacifico Airport Valet parking can service your car while you travel. We have trained, professional mechanics ready to work on your car. One of the most important types of service we perform is preparing your car for the fall and winter. It definitely matters. Here are six common sense, meaningful things you can do that mechanics recommend:
The summer driving season is over and for much of the country the weather is starting to change. When that happens it is time to check various systems on your car to make sure they are ready for colder, wetter weather.
Take a moment and read the following list so you can protect yourself, and your automotive investment.
- Check your battery. Make sure your connections are clean and tight with zero corrosion. You really don’t want to deal with a dead battery, especially on a cold and snowy day when you have to get to work/class/ or anyplace else. If your battery is 3 or 4 years old at the very least, get it checked.
- Coolant system (anti-freeze). Don’t wait until the forecast calls for 5 degree weather with swirling winds. Get your coolant system checked now. That means pick up the phone and make the appointment now. A comprehensive check should include; the coolant level, belts and hoses and the thermostat. Getting your coolant system checked today will save your potential grief tomorrow.
- Check your heater, defrosters and wiper blades. This is something you can do yourself and it takes about 5 minutes. Warm up the car and turn on the heat then switch it to defroster mode. It’s pretty simple, either those systems work or they don’t. If they are not working it may indicate larger problems.As for your windshield wipers my suggestion is, if they have more than 12,000 miles on them get new blades. Even if they don’t have cracks or tears, replace them. It’s not that expensive. This is generally something you can install yourself and it takes about five minutes. No one is less mechanical than I am and I can do this one myself. That means you can too.
- Air Filters. If you haven’t had your engine or cabin air filters checked or replaced in the last 12,000 miles, I’d schedule that one also. A clogged engine air filter reduces your engine efficiency (means you spend more money on gas) and increases air pollution.
- Checking your tire pressure is always important but tread depth is even more important. Just having the right tire pressure is not enough to get you through the winter, especially if it turns out to be inclement. If your tires have more than 20,000 miles you need to get them checked.Assuming that like most people you did NOT get them rotated, balanced or aligned on a regular basis you could have uneven or excessive tread wear. That means if the road is slick, snowy or even icy, you may not have enough traction to drive in a safe manner. That means you might be an accident waiting to happen. Do you really want to deal with that? And when you replace those old, beat-up tires, do yourself a favor and spend a little more money and get good ones. It could save your life.
- This one is a no-brainer. Get your brakes checked by a professional. Not the kid down the street or your buddy Roger who once changed an air filter. Make an appointment with a service station and make sure your brakes, linings and brake fluid level are all at safe, legal levels.Remember, inclement weather makes it harder to stop a large moving vehicle, that would be your car. Same situation as tires: That means you might be an accident waiting to happen. Do you really want to deal with that? Think about it, then go get your brakes checked.
Don’t be afraid to spend some time and money to ensure that your car is operating at a safe, optimal level throughout the Fall and Winter.
Pacifico Airport Valet Parking services PHL and is pleased to be able to bring you Philadelphia Airport Parking and vehicle maintenance tips. Many thanks for stopping by and reading this post. Follow us on Twitter (@PacificoValet).